Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The New Testament in 90 Days - Somewhere in July

Some days I hate that I'm growing older.  Usually I'm fairly happy being over 50 and being called Grandma and knowing more about rock music than most kids these days.  And I can sing the Yogi Bear theme song word-for-word.

But today I'm dozing at my desk, trying to get my work done, after a long weekend filled with the State Fair and my granddaughter's birthday party and cooking for the week and on and on.  On days like this, middle age sucks.


So you can imagine how much I really wanted to get out of bed this morning.  Because I have been keeping up with my quiet time.  It's not so much a requirement to the start of my day as it is a blessing I'm totally missing out on if I miss a morning.  


Ninety days is entirely too short to read the entire New Testament, not if you're going to get anything really out of it.  So it's more like The New Testament in my own time, with some days not happening, and some days only one chapter instead of three; but with it sinking in just a bit more.


The Book of Luke presents Jesus the Man to the Greeks.  Luke was a Greek physician, a Gentile, and someone who liked to put things down in order so they made sense.  Luke also wrote the Book of Acts, and both of these chronicle the life of Jesus and events in the Early Church in relation to the era of history that surrounded them.

He gives a lot of facts and figures, being the rational Greek he was, and makes sure names of places and people are accurate.  Luke also makes sure that Jesus and the Apostles are seen as rational, intelligent people who also accepted the miraculous in their midst and remained faithful to God.  I like that.  I'm an intelligent, if somewhat attention deficit person who likes patterns and habits and routine and explanations.  However, I do accept that God made me in His image and that, being God, can make anything and everything happen in my life, sometimes without explanation.  


I just finished up the book of Luke today.  It's the same story as Matthew and Mark, just with a different twist to it.  Like Robert Heinlein writing Pride and Prejudice.  Same story, same characters, even the same setting possibly, but an entirely different view of things.  Maybe Mr. Darcy is a Roman and Elizabeth is a Jewish girl but they both find Jesus in common.  


Hmm, I may have to write this story sometime . . . 


Meanwhile, I haven't given up on my quiet time.  And God hasn't given up on me, not by a long shot.  It's just that blogging about it has gone by the wayside the past couple of weeks.  I'll be starting the book of John tomorrow, one of my favorites, and I think I might have a bit more to say . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment