Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The New Testament in 90 Days - Day 7

July 2
Matthew chapters 19-21

It was especially difficult for me to get up this morning, since I have been suffering from a migraine since yesterday.  I don't know if it's the heat or my eyes or what exactly, but I'm miserable.  Even the kitten is annoying.

But David made sure I got out of bed this morning and I made the train on time and got to work when I was supposed to.  But, I didn't read today's scriptures until just now, after I finished all the work on my desk.  I'd love to tell you that this gave me a particular insight, but I'm afraid today is a wall to bang my head against.

I did and will do again.  Jesus is once again put to the test by the Pharisees, who are too stupid to give up.  He has many things to say about marriage and divorce that I'm not going to get into here - I left my husband after several years of his neglecting the family, and he is actually the one who filed for divorce.  Now I'm marrying a man who is divorced from one woman and the widower of another.  Yet God still loves me, still takes care of me, still uses me.  I'm not going to argue.

No good deed. . . Jesus again has to explain something that should be very simple but isn't because we always want to know if it really applies to us, or just everyone else.  The upshot of which is, if you're not prepared to live a life of obedience, then that's the real loss.

The Master of the House.  Here are two descriptions of a perfectly just and righteous God.  Don't ignore them.

At the airport here, I work in Facilities.  Which means I have, and have had, access to the contract process by which we deal with vendors.  Personally, I think it's a vague, non-specific process, with too many generalizations.  To me, a contract is about this is what you will do for me and this is what I'll pay for it to be done completely and done right.  Simple, what?  Yet human nature still says "Let's do as little as we can get away with and then ask for more money."

I don't write the contracts, but if I did, the vendors would hate me.

So it is with the Master of the house.  He told us exactly what He wanted and how it was to happen, starting in Genesis and going from there.  The early workers were the Jews, the Chosen People.  But later there were others - Rahab in Jericho; Ruth who married Rahab's grandson; Namaan the leper,  and on and on.  People who chose to become a part of God's plan.

And then there's us, at the eleventh hour (which, by the way, is where the saying comes from).  Guess what?  God's contract never changed from the beginning.  This is what we get for being a Child of God, no matter if you started early or just got here.  And it's His choice to do this.  Thank you Lord, for loving me like that.

Absentee Landlord.  This is quite the story, and one we should keep in mind, especially when we are tasked with ministry.  But it applies to every Christian, no matter how "involved" they are in the Body.  And it was specifically directed at the Pharisees, who were all about tradition instead of all about God.

The servants the Master sent were, historically, the prophets of Israel.  The Jews, being a "stubborn and stiff-necked people," basically ignored and then harassed the prophets when they came, so much so that God quit sending them for 400 years before John the Baptist came to proclaim Jesus.

And the Son is Jesus, who they killed.

A righteous and just God will forgive us our sins, but He will also punish the people who utterly reject Him.  Lucifer, in all his light, desired to be the Master, and look where it got him. And we're not even as powerful as an angel.

Humility.  Jesus knew what was coming.  It's seem such a short time in Matthew, but it was actually 3-ish years between John the Baptist and the Cross.  And Jesus was going willingly to do what God has promised, even to death.  The rest is the Palm Sunday story, but what a story!  A triumphal entry into the capital city of the Jews, the anger and authority to cleanse the temple of the shysters, the depth of His compassion as he heals two blind men along the way.

Even the small children were proclaiming Him.  Can't argue with a child, they're stubborn little things.

The Pharisees one last gasp.  "By whose authority do you do and speak these things?"  Umm, if you haven't sorted out all the clues by now, then why should I tell you?  Healing, miracles, teaching with authority - who do you think gave Jesus this?  Give it up boys, you won't win, although you think you will.

The crowds believed.  And it scared the religious rulers.  Because if people actually did what Jesus was preaching, they'd be out of a job right quick.  Little did they know that just when they think they've won, along comes the most important event in human history - the Resurrection.

And honestly at this point, I'm not sure I can wrap this up succinctly.  I'm anxious to read tomorrow's passages, even though I know the story so well.  This is the beauty of the Word, that is becomes new in our hearts every time we dig into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment