Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The New Testament in 90 Days - Day 5

June 30
Matthew chapters 13-15

Today is my dad's birthday.  He would have been 95 this year.  He died in 2007 from cancer, but he had lived a long, full life.  But on his birthday, I'm always a little melancholy. I know he would be proud of me being the choir director, because whenever the Pastor talked about replacing someone in music ministry, my dad would always tell him "My daughter can do all that."  I got that straight from  Pastor Les.  It is encouraging for me to remember this as I remember my dad.

And my body clock again waked me at 4:30-ish.  I have to get up around now to get ready for work (I leave the house by 6am to commute quite a ways on public transit), but it's Sunday!  I don't have to be at work (church) until 9:30!  And I can drive!  Oh well, the cat was licking me in the face as well, so he knew it was wakey-wakey time.

So I got up.  It's getting easier to get up to do this quiet time, but not so easy to read and ponder.  Matthew is so rich, and three chapters a day is like "wow!"  I wish I could write my thoughts down completely, but I ask the Lord to guide me, help me to understand and write the words He gives me.

In other words, these are not necessarily going to be full summaries.  Perhaps that's an incentive to dig into the Word yourself, see what I maybe missed.

Parables about the Kingdom.  Great crowds were following Jesus.  But they were there for the miracles, the healings, the Show.  Jesus didn't mind that, though.  He got their attention and then hit them with the Word.  These stories, parables, were to delineate between God's kingdom and, well, everyone else.  God, being perfect, He definitely had the authority to tell us what wasn't going to cut it.  Seeds that were sown, weeds that looked the same but in the end were gathered and burned - we're all here on earth together, and we're all given the opportunity to hear the Gospel, but depending on how receptive our hearts are, it grows or it doesn't.

He also admonishes us to do anything to preach the Gospel.  Give up our goals to be rich and famous with the things we have - then there's room in our hearts for the treasure that He has for us.  And then spread the good news, so everyone, every bit of ourselves inside and out, is permeated with the Lord.

Wise words - just gotta keep the weeds and worldly cares from choking me.

Grief.  The unthinkable has happened - Jesus' cousin and the greatest of the prophets, John the Baptist, has been executed by Herod.  The story of how it happened is a minor footnote - don't make promises you aren't happy keep.  Herod dies a gruesome death later on, but who really cares?  He had his chance and blew it.

Jesus grieves.  He honestly needs, as a human being, to take some time to himself and be sad.  Sadness isn't a sin - worry is sinful, anger can be very sinful.  But sadness is natural and right.  Scripture tells us in other places that God was saddened by the behavior of His people.  It was okay for Jesus to want to draw away for a bit.

But the crowds wanted The Show.  The followed him, begged him to heal them, teach them, anything to be a part of the spectacle.  They even forgot to eat.

God, who takes care of our every need, wants them to be physically satisfied as well as spiritually blessed.  He tells the disciples to send them home to eat, but they are in the middle of nowhere and the only food anyone can scrounge up is some fish and chips, enough for a late night snack if the pub is still open.

Jesus says, "Feed them."  The disciples say, "What, now?  With this?"  But they aren't as dumb as they sound.  They don't understand it, but they do it.  And the crowd is fed, physically satisfied.  Unfortunately, they're still spiritually hungry, so they camp out for The Show.

Jesus still needs His alone time.  Now, when I say alone, I mean alone with God.  He didn't just take off for a kip behind the rocks, he went away to pray.  He needed this time to recharge, just as we need time alone with the Lord to allow Him to bring us back to full-power again.  So He sent the disciples away and told them to get things ready in the town across the water.

The Storm Rages.  It's interesting to me that Jesus never prevented the storm from happening.  It wasn't necessary for things to be peaceful, just for them to believe and obey.  Old hymn - "Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey."

His batteries recharged, Jesus decides to join his friends in the boat.  So He takes a stroll.  On the water.  In a storm.  Not a miracle as much as just Jesus is God.  And His disciples, who are somewhat more faithful than the masses, are still scared out of their wits - "It's a ghost!"

Sometimes, even when the Lord is talking to us, reassuring us of His presence, we still are panicky.  For me, this is a daily occurrence.  But by golly, I'm gonna bluff my way through it, show the rest of them that I'm not really afraid.  So Peter jumps out of the boat and walks on the water too.  Until he realizes he's out of the boat.  On the sea.  In a storm.  Oh dear, glub, glub.

Jesus takes Peter's hand (my hand) gently and says, "Here I am, what were you so afraid of?"  I don't think there are any more comforting words anyone can say to another person than "You're safe."

The traditions versus the Law.  The disciples were ordinary men.  They washed their hands before eating, that was a given, but they didn't follow the cleansing rites of the Jews every time they did.  The Pharisees in our lives love to point out the little mistakes, the insignificant details that no one else cares about.

Being Highly Sensitive, I notice all that little stuff, too.  Bad grammar, one drop of ink astray, the faint whiff of cigarette smoke from the guy 25 feet away, the idiot who is whistling indoors on the other side of the building - I am sensitive to so many things that I also tend to be judgmental.  And the God reminds me that I grind my teeth, fidget, talk to myself constantly, fidget, chew my nails, fidget.  All the stuff that others do around me that get on my nerves.  I traditionally use good grammar, but just because someone says "You and I's" instead of "Mine and yours" doesn't mean that what he says is invalid.

The disciples ate what God gave them.  They figured, if it's from the Lord, it's a good thing.  Well duh!  But the Pharisees were too focused on the how and not on the why or Who.  In my house, no one whistles, good grammar is used, and the routines are comfortable.  Outside the door, I just have to deal, because this is what God has asked me to do.  But, He doesn't leave me to do it alone.

More food.  Jesus has great compassion, something I think is lacking in my heart.  "Dumb-arses, don't make a plan, nothing gets done right, did you think you could camp out in the desert without supplies?"  But Jesus, in His infinite love, just gets on with it and feeds them again.  He knows what they'll do to him in the end, but they're hungry now.  Perhaps they'll remember this later and believe that they were part of something more important than just The Show.

He does this for me every day.  I try to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment