Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The New Testament in 90 Days - Day 2

June 27
Matthew chapters 4-6

There's so much in the next three chapters, I could study it all week, all month and still need to study it more.

The Temptation of Christ.  I think this particular part of scripture is to remind us that our King isn't just looking down on us, not understanding us (think politics, particularly Western democracy in the 21st century).  Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights.  I read recently that when 40 is a time span, it means renewal - of a generation, of a spiritual calling, of one's self.  I believe Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights for all of those.

He was about to change from carpenter to itinerant preacher, presenting himself as a normal guy into the Son of God.  The temptations afterwards?  Their significance is to show us that Jesus was ready to begin his ministry.  When we are renewed in Christ, something we should be every day, we are ready to face whatever gets thrown at us.  And we are ministers, even if just by our behavior.

The First Four.  Peter and Andrew, James and John.  "Come with me" he says.  And they do.  It's like, they were just fishermen, but also Jewish adult males who had been taught all their lives the Law, the scriptures.  They had no doubts about who was calling them.  Are we immersed enough in the Word of God to know when the Lord calls us?

The Sermon on the Mount.  Too much to write about in one sitting.  I am both blessed and appalled when reading these chapters.  Blessed, because Jesus speaks directly to the people where they are - not "I'll talk to you as soon as you shape up."  God isn't like that - He hears our cries in our despair - no one is too sad, depressed, busy, whatever, for God to listen.

I'm appalled because there is so much basic stuff here that I've been neglecting, especially the parts about anger.  I am angry all the time - being Highly Sensitive, I notice all the little stuff around me that other people just let go.  The constant hum of a fan, the just-a-bit-too-loud music coming from the cubicle next to mine, the string hanging off snagged pants, bad grammar - the list is endless.

And I'm worried all the time.  Too many things to do, to much chaos , what do I do first?  It's frustrating, especially when people who aren't like me tell me "Just get over it"  or "Just do/don't do it."  It's like my kitten, who is going through the biting stage.  He doesn't understand why I get so mad when he's just playing, but he can't really help himself - he has to learn a new behavior, and really, it's quite a long lesson, because my arms are all teeny-weenie little scabs from my efforts at teaching him.

But God, who is perfect in every way, sees me and gathers me into His arms and says "Chill, I've got it covered."  Sometimes I scratch and bite - but God doesn't stop loving me.  He just keeps teaching me.  I'm 51 years old now, but still that jumpy, hissy kitten.  Getting into the Word, meditating on it day and night is just the next part of God's instruction.

I will ponder these chapters a lot today.  It seems like it's so many little things to remember, but really it's just one - The Lord is in control if I choose to allow Him, and honestly, He knows better than I do what the day holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment