Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The New Testament in 90 Days - Day 4

June 29
Matthew chapters 10-12

Holy cow, it's hot!  These are the triple-digit days in Sacramento that finally are too much for me (that's in the high 30's - mid 40's for my Euro friends).  I like the temperature outside to be between 85 and 95 - warm enough to open every window in the house and have a cold one while watching the ballgame.

But I was awake at 4:40am, even though my alarm clock didn't go off.  It's Saturday, and I realize I need to do my chores early before it gets to be steaming, but really?  I managed to stretch it a couple more hours, but the first thing I thought of when I rolled out of bed was "How cool is it that I get to take my time to read and write my quiet time today!"

Sent out, but not without instruction.  He chose 12, but he's talking to all of us.  It's still the message of "Don't worry, I'll take care of you" but this time it's with specific ministry instructions, not just general life.  He tells us not to worry about everyday life, but what do we fill up our extra time with?  Well, heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons.  In other words, there are more important things to be doing than just the day-to-day issues.

Separation.  Most of the rest of these chapters, to me at least, is about separation.  Jesus is telling us what will happen to us when we obey Him - we will be singled out.  Sometimes, that means we'll be derided, sometimes it even means they'll kill us, they being everyone else who isn't His.  But Jesus doesn't dwell on that bit - here it is, it will happen, get on with your ministry.

What the biggest part of the conversation becomes is an indictment of, well, organized religion.  You can become too concerned with following the rules and not enough concerned about preaching the Gospel.

Now, what I'm about to say is controversial, just a warning.

I'm in California.  The Definition of Marriage Act that was passed a couple of years ago was something I did not support.  The DOMA targeted a specific minority group, as opposed to being a general law for the whole people.  The law has to be the law for everyone, or it's meaningless.  I was glad when the Supreme Court kaboshed it, but not for the reason everyone else was.

However, I don't approve of homosexuality.  God says it's a sin.  But there are several people in my life who are gay.  I can't let that stop me from showing God's love to them any more than I can let vagrancy or fornication (a big word, I know).  The homeless guy, he needs to eat once in awhile - and I have three of them in my church choir.  Two of my children live with their partners, one of them has two children.  Am I going to reject them?  No, I'm going to love my granddaughters and make sure my "in-laws" are well-loved.  Am I going to let his homosexuality keep me from laughing and hanging out with the guy in the next cubicle at work?  No, but I'm going to invite him to church to hear my choir sing.  And in all of this, I'm going to live my life as a Godly woman, showing without preaching, living without rejecting.  Separated from them, speaking God's love to them.

Even Lot was allowed to live among them, searching for even just 10 righteous men.

The Pharisees were quite the opposite.  They rejected the unknown, accused Jesus of being the devil, nit-picked at every little thing he did.  Jesus wasn't afraid of that, and he wasn't going to let them get away with it.  "Can a house divided against itself stand?"  If the devil is doing all this, why is he casting out demons?  It doesn't make any sense.

If you are willing to accept it.  Jesus tells the Jews that they listened to the prophets before (and rejected them, mostly) and that John was the greatest of these men.  But even John had no comparison to the Son of Man.  Jesus wasn't a prophet.  Oh, he prophesied, no doubt, but He is God.  John was appointed to prepare the way, but God, in His infinite wisdom and love, sent His Son Jesus to be the one who would cleanse us from out sins.

Nothing is better than that.  All the healing the disciples did, all the baptisms of John, all the adoration were nothing compared to the power of God as Jesus.  Jesus, the human who was also Jesus Jehovah. He was separate.

The same God as the Holy Spirit dwells within us too.  But we have to be willing to accept it.  I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment